Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Religious Discrimination at its Best

So, I have been attending a lot of interviews. I have found it very interesting the questions that they ask up here, as opposed to questions asked in geographical locations that don't suck. I never thought that it was appropriate to ask an individual what their religious affiliation is. And, it is certainly not appropriate to ask people what their ethnicity is. I have been asked questions of those type at so many interviews the past few weeks that it makes ones head spin. I always answer by avoiding the question, because the question is inappropriate. However, employers see this as a sign that I cannot down piles of perogies like the rest of their true Mennonite candidates. I even had one place call me back and tell me that while I had more education and experience than another candidate, they would prefer to hire a Mennonite. Seriously, wtf? Do they think that just because I am not a Mennonite I am going to teach all of the other employees to do crazy shit? Keg stands in the employee lounge and Ouiji boards in the board room? Not likely. I am about the most driven person ever on the job and at school. I'm glad that that employer chose religion over experience..when actual facts and procedures are needed, there will be someone right there to pray with them. All in all though, its probably for the best. If an employer acts like that, I probably do not want to work for them any ways. What I found "pack up the jeep I'm f-ing sick of this place" annoying is that when I mentioned this to a large group of my husbands associates, there were no shocked faces..no "who the hell would treat people like that"....no "I can't believe that happened..religious discrimination in Southern Manitoba is so last year" . They just continued asking me questions about where I will apply next. I started thinking..."Mennonite" can be viewed as both a culture and a religion. So to say that you want to hire this religion over education is no different than telling a candidate you would rather hire a certain ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation. If I was back home and someone said that they applied at my old work place but were turned down because of religious affiliation, I would really be unhappy. But up here, no one cares because it is not they who are being discriminated against. They are the happy majority so screw anyone who doesn't fit into their mold of who a decent person should be. We were driving into town and I noticed the welcome sign says "Winkler Manitoba...the people make the difference." I couldn't have said it better myself!

No comments: