One of my friends from college is one of those types that always seems to back the “candidate” for elections that has no shot in hell of being nominated. For example, he was/is a Ron Paul supporter. He believes in limited government authority. Essentially this means that govt. has the only job of protecting liberty, so even if all of the members of a nation are standing in a bread line, living in a tent town and dying at 30 due to lack of healthcare, as long as the govt. has protected liberty they are still doing a pretty good job. Well, since I am greatly in favor of Universal Healthcare, I wanted to know what the fringe members of the voting populations feel about it.
Here are some quotes of the conversation:
“The sad truth is that the system that has been constructed in Canada looks like one designed to make its people go "on the take". If it wasn't made that way by design (to keep government people in power), it certainly gets the job done anyway. Sorry Kristy, the tyranny has been run on you and has bought you off.”
“a reason the system is in tough shape to begin with is because of government interference.”
Now, let me give you a run down on all the great things you get in this crazy tyranny filled society that US citizens go without. Many products which are needed for day to day life have their prices set by the govt. such as milk, bread, flour, etc. Thus, people can afford the basics. We actually found out that day care up here for children is less per day than we paid for our dog to attend doggie daycare in the US. Those prices are set by the govt. Many of the companies that people need are also run by the govt. such as car insurance. They are not allowed to make over a certain amount of profit and the excess is distributed to the people who paid monthly payments that year. I paid car insurance from ages 18-25 in the US and that had not happened to me once. It is important to the Canadian govt. that children are not raised in poverty. People who have a child under 5 are given a stipend for daycare and a certain amount for food etc. until the child is 18. Not to mention that every person from the gas station attendant to CEO’s are given the healthcare they need. For many things you do not have to wait.. when I was sick and at the ER we had a wait of 5 minutes. A friend needed knee surgery and had to wait about a week, but it was not a serious ailment. Wages make up for a lot of the increase in taxes. But, you know what? I have no problem paying a little more in taxes or waiting for a surgery if it means that everyone gets healthcare. It is a part of being a part of the human society. Not to mention that having healthy people make for a stronger nation.
Have I been “bought off”? I call it enlightenment. I have found out that things can be better than what is happening in the US. Is that the same as “bought off”? Crazy me for thinking that healthcare is a right. I have friends who have received $10,000-20,000 bills after stays in US hospitals. We can do better America!
Monday, September 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment