Monday, September 8, 2008

My time at the hospital

I just got out of the hospital yesterday. I had been throwing up with a fever for 2 days and feeling ill for 3. We went to Urgent care and they said that I needed to go to the Emergency Room. The doctor diagnosed me with pyelonephritis, which is an infection of the kidneys. I was so damn ill. I had a total of 5 days where my fever went over 105...I couldnt hold down water. It really sucked. I was dehydrated so for my 2 days in the hospital I was hooked up to an IV the whole time. I also had IV antibiotics the whole time. They said my condition was life threatening so the antibiotics were really strong..they burned in my veins. It was horrid. One of the antibiotics had the potential side effect of making me permanently deaf, but they told me that I had to have it. But I am very thankful that all of the medical care was free. I had tons of tests done, tons of medical care, doctors and nurses checking up on me often. I was kind of thinking about that during my time there. Because I was in Canada they could order any test they felt I needed to make sure I survived. In the US, the insurance company and people with little medical background are in the mix and things have to be pre-approved. Because we were in Canada we could get our results right away and quickly see where things were at because the doctors did not have to prove that I really needed a certain test. I feel more now than ever that Universal Health Care is great. Healthcare is a right and should never be reserved for those who can afford it.

No comments: