Saturday, October 18, 2008
Well if that's not sin, eh?
Today i brought my husband some lunch and later i went to McDonalds to get an iced coffee. I decided to drink my iced coffee in the store so i could read my magazine. I was seated near two Mennonite women who turned out to be really rather amusing. They were talking about the "sudden" "large amount" of women who do not do as their husband asks of them in Winkler. It was honestly very hard to not throw my two-cents into this conversation. Apparently, according to these women, "our husbands were made to be superior to us" and "to not do as things has always been is surely a sin." And my personal favorite:"Women complain that their husbands are abusing them, but women on their own are unable to know the true way to the Lord. Our husbands are just gently leading us to salvation." Honorary mention: "some women just need a firm hand." (I took direct quotes...I wrote them all over my tray liner) I kept looking at them and laughing in a "holy crap you are crazy" sort of way. I think I love this town. Without these people, would I really have something to write about? Pretty soon i will have enough for a book! What kind of woman would ever think that abuse is a "gentle" path to salvation? If that is the route I have to take, seriously....Fuck that! I love the assumption that women are too feeble-minded to figure things like their own spiritual lives.I love it when people assume that I am incapable of anything above popping out children, cooking and cleaning. To be a woman with a mind of your own is a serious problem to some people in this town. Good thinking though! If the women in this town started to think for themselves and lived up to their potential there is no way that half of the crap that goes on in this town would continue!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment