Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Dear Student Loan people: I hate you

I think the title sums up my feelings. Ok, so a few weeks ago I went onto my student loan account to see how much was due this month. I sent the money down to my US account and waited for it to get there. I logged onto my account yesterday and the amount due was 25.00 lower than I initially thought...so I thought "whatever" and still paid it as scheduled. I logged off and about 10 minutes later I remembered that I forgot to write down the total amount due for my records. I logged back on, and the amount now said that I owed the bigger amount. So I cancelled all payments and waited till today to call them and figure out what the hell was going on. They were not so helpful. They told me that there was no way that the mistake was their fault, initially. After I pressed them a little more to explain to me how I could have changed my own amount due on their system, they admitted that it sounded like a glitch on their end. I told them that they should make note of this occurrance because some people may not have checked back on the site and accidentally paid the smaller amount. (This place is very very very fond of late fees and sending angry letters, even if the payment is a day late....in this case, it would have not been the student's fault) The person I talked to admitted that even though it was their problem, anyone who does not check back will be charged all their late fees and whatnot. I know it is only a 25.00 difference, but that is a big enough difference to me. I get pissed when cashiers don't give me back all my change. I am just like that. And the fact that they would still charge people their late fees for a problem on their end is disgusting and a sign I need to pay this student loan off sooner than later. I am not against businesses making a profit, but screwing with people is another story.

No comments: