Monday, April 21, 2008
Stepford Wives, anyone?
I have had a revelation as to what is so weird about living in this vibrant cross section of Canada called Winkler. Half (or likely more) of the people are the exact same person with a different body. Their words and actions really are about the same damn thing from person to person in this creepy Stepford-ian way. Here is a brief synopsis: Jesus:Good, bible learnin': Good, book learning: bad, Popping out 12 children:"Blessings", Family planning:"Evil", Science:TERRIBLE, taking the bible as the only infalliable word of GOD: the only way to survive, Alternative religions or no religion at all: That's it! You're shunned! Just once I would love to see something not so fucking "normal". Just about every teenaged girl I have met here is so freaking excited about marrying right after high school and popping out children. Believe me...that was sooo not anywhere close to on my mind at 18. It really didnt cross my mind until I met Greg at 23. I would never have been ready at 18 for the responsibilities of married life. Most people aren't. But I guess they have been brainwashed at their mennonite churches for quite some time about how holy married life is and how any contrary thought is sinful. The only way I would allow greg to raise my future children in that individuality-stifling church (or really, under any organized religion) is literally over my dead body.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment