Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Fun times in autopac land

Today I decided that it was time to get my manitoba drivers license. Since I have 30 days from the date of my work permit to get it done and today was day 29, I figured it was time to get going on that. 2 1/2 hours later I emerged back out of the autopac store with my drivers license. It was crazy! They had to call some call center in Winnipeg to check that my Minnesota drivers license was valid and that I had no bad things on my driving record. Well, the call center person was quite intent on catching a forgery today. First they were adament that East Grand Forks Minnesota does not exist. How do you argue with that? I mean, I told them that the zip there is 56721....and that it is just across the bridge from grand forks in an eastern direction. My high school diploma is from east grand forks senior high, so if egf does not exist I forsee some serious problems in the future for me and my imaginary diploma from my imaginary home town. They said that since it was not on their computer, there must be a problem. So I had to give my US drivers license to the autopac guy to fax to the Winnipeg call center. Autopac guy did something wrong because my license got jammed in the fax machine, as I was fairly certain it would. so in order to get my license back I had to sit there messing around with their fax machine in an attempt to get it out. Well, they wound up giving me my Canadian drivers license after all. If they could have just pulled out a map and believed me for a second about the egf thing, I could have been out in time for Dr. Phil today. Oh well, I ate handfuls of the mints they had in a bowl on the desk while I was working on the fax issue...hehe.... I figure we are somewhat even.